"See you next crime, Player." -Carmen Sandiego
Carmen Sandiego is the star, namesake, and main villain of the Carmen Sandiego franchise. A master thief, she leads a V.I.L.E. with the ACME Detective Agency at her heels. Her crimes are spectacular with most of the objects she steals being improbable or impossible to steal in real life.
Carmen Sandiego's history has changed through out the course of the franchise. No one has made one back story "official".
In the early games, not much is said about Carmen's background. In the original game, she is said to have been a former spy for the Intelligence Service of Monaco.
Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? changed and expanded on this backstory. In their version, Carmen was a child prostitute raised at the Golden Gate Girls' School in San Francisco. The Chief took her in and gave her a home at ACME. When she was old enough, she became a detective. Trained by Suhara, she was one of the best ACME gumshoes, taking down Dr. Gunnar Maelstrom. As with every other incarnation, Carmen's reasons for leaving ACME are not stated.
Starting in 1996, the computer games borrowed from the back story of Earth. It was stated that Carmen had once been an ACME detective. However, this time her partner had been Chase Devineaux.
The latest version of Carmen's backstory was put forth in Carmen Sandiego: Secret of the Stolen Drums. In this one, Carmen wins a large amount of money on a game show at age 10. She uses her winnings to travel the world. At 20, she was recruited by ACME with Jules Argent as her partner. When Carmen turned 30, she left ACME for a life of crime.
- Where in Space is Carmen Sandiego?
- Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego?
- Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego?
- Carmen Sandiego Math Detective
- Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? (Television Show)
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Video Game) (1985)
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Television Show) (1991)
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Video Game) (1998)
- Where in the U.S.A. is Carmen Sandiego? (1986)
- Where in the U.S.A. is Carmen Sandiego? (1996)
- Carmen Sandiego Word Detective
- Carmen Sandiego's Great Chase Through Time
- Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? (Video Game)
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (Television Show) (1996)
- Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?
- Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math
- Favorite Animal: Coyote
- Favorite Astronomer: Nicolas Copernicus
- Favorite Athlete: Peggy Fleming
- Favorite Authors: Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Ursula Le Guin
- Favorite Sports: Basketball, Tennis
- Favorite Genre of Book: Biography
- Favorite Genre of Movie: Musical
- Favorite Genre of Music: Classical
- Favorite Types of Food: Mexican, Tex/Mex
- Hobby: Gambling
- Preferred Car: Convertible